Hearty sauerkraut casserole
For 4 servings:
500 g potatoes (waxy)
1 can of sauerkraut,
2 tbsp butter
200 g crème fraîche
100 g grated mountain cheese
- Peel the potatoes, cut into large pieces and cook in salted water for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice the onion and drain the sauerkraut. Melt 1/2 tbsp butter in a saucepan. Steam the onion until translucent. Sauté sauerkraut for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Mix the eggs with the crème fraîche, season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and roughly mash the potatoes. Mix in 1 tbsp butter, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Grease the baking dish with the rest of the butter. Mix the mashed potatoes with the sauerkraut mixture and the egg mixture and distribute in the pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the hot oven at 200 degrees (top/bottom heat) in the lower third of the oven for 45 minutes.