What can be easily eaten with gastritis, and what can not under any circumstances? What will make your stomach hurt, and what, on the contrary, will help you feel better? All information on nutrition for gastritis is here.
Gastritis is a common name for a whole group of conditions that are characterized by inflammation, irritation, or erosion of the mucous membranes of the stomach. The cause of gastritis can be a bacterial or viral infection, stress, some medications, excessive alcohol consumption, bile reflux … With such a list of prerequisites, it is not surprising that every second person on the planet suffers from gastritis. In some, it is asymptomatic, in others it occurs sharply (acute gastritis), in others, it interferes with life constantly (chronic gastritis). Symptoms of gastritis are as follows:
- Loss of appetite;
- Abdominal pain;
- Stool dark color consistency tar.
All this is very unpleasant, and even more unpleasant are the likely consequences of gastritis – such as an ulcer or stomach cancer. But wait to panic! The disease is not so terrible if you follow the diet for gastritis.
Who needs a diet for gastritis? To all those to whom it somehow poisons life. Since gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach, it is extremely important to monitor what gets into this stomach. Some products contribute to the development and intensification of inflammation, while others, on the contrary, “calm down” it. Even if gastritis is asymptomatic, the diet should still be observed at least in general terms – so you do not allow the disease to worsen.
What you can not eat with gastritis
The key aspect of nutrition for gastritis is not to irritate the already irritated stomach, that is, to eat the most neutral foods. This does not mean, of course, that you now until the end of centuries will be able only to chicken and steamed vegetables without salt, but from all sorts of spicy, salty, dried, smoked will have to refuse, especially if the doctor prescribed you a diet for gastritis with high acidity. So, what can’t you eat?
- Spicy dishes. This includes many dishes of national cuisine: Korean kimchi, Thai tom yam, Mexican tacos.
- Fatty foods. This also includes fast food – the amount of fat in it is much more than usual. Studies have repeatedly shown that excessive consumption of fats worsens the course of gastritis, and you certainly do not need this.
- Alcohol. Any alcohol is a risk factor that provokes attacks of gastritis, so it is better to abandon it completely. Even a tiny portion can become a straw that will break the camel’s back.
- Products with high acidity. This includes, for example, citrus fruits.
- Sweets and pickles. Alas, both of them also irritate the walls of the stomach, so you will have to salt and sweeten food moderately. This also includes juices of industrial manufacture and soda – in any case, they are definitely not included in the list of what you can drink with gastritis.
- Baking. Bread is better to buy or bake whole grain.
- Kvass. Definitely not.
- Fermented milk products. The gastric mucosa is not friends with them. This also includes whole milk. Sour cream is possible, but not much.
- Spices and sauces. Be careful with them: even ketchup can provoke an attack, not to mention adjik. A mill with a mixture of peppers will have to be removed from the table, and mustard is also superfluous.
Sometimes the cause of inflammation can be an allergy to something, but these are quite rare cases.
To make it easier for you to navigate, here are examples of products that need to be excluded from the diet for gastritis.
You can not eat : sausage, fresh bread, muffins, fatty cheese, sweets and cakes, pickles, cakes, scrambled eggs, fried cutlets, hodgepodge, kharcho, dried meat, cherries, currants, lingonberries, french fries, semi-finished products, fatty meat, onions, corn, chocolate, nuts, garlic, hard-boiled eggs, fast food, liver, fatty fish (salmon, tuna), canned food, legumes, mushrooms, unripe fruits.
You can not drink : cocoa, strong tea, juices, any alcohol, carbonated sweet drinks, energy.
In general, nutrition for gastritis depends on the acidity of the stomach and, accordingly, on whether it needs to be increased, lowered, or “left alone”.
If your acidity is increased, remove additional coffee, rye bread, citrus fruits, tomatoes, broths of meat and fish, turnips, cabbage, barley, barley, millet. However, with all these products and with low acidity, you should not overdo it. By the way, with an increased you can milk soups, and with a lower one – it is not worth it.
In addition, the sensitivity to products in different people may be different, therefore, for example, cabbage, nuts or dairy products for gastritis can be tried (strictly without exacerbation and in small doses). If everything is in order, then small doses of these products can be left in the diet. However, the method of “let’s try” categorically does not apply to fatty, spicy, or salty foods, and even more so to alcohol. The stomach here will not say thank you exactly, and not because it does not know how to speak.
Diet for gastritis: what you can eat
Now let’s talk about what you can eat with gastritis. It may seem that we have already named everything in the previous paragraph, but, fortunately, this is not the case. However, before proceeding to the list of permitted products, here are the general recommendations of doctors. So:
- Eat fractionally – that is, often and in small portions, so as not to overload the stomach. 5-6 times a day – and the inflammation will begin to calm down.
- Food should be warm. Too cold and too hot food will irritate the gastric mucosa, and inflammation will increase.
- The more thoroughly you chew, the better. Regardless of whether you have gastritis with high or low acidity, the diet for gastritis primarily implies the exclusion of food that could mechanically irritate the stomach. That is why during the period of exacerbations it is recommended to eat pureed, pureed food.
- Everything should be either stewed, boiled, or steamed. Fried is not worth it.
Moving on to the main point: what can you eat with gastritis? The list will be quite impressive. There will be no special problems if you eat:
- Lean meat: chicken, turkey, ideally – rabbit. Steam cutlets, baked meat, tongue.
- Low-fat fish: pollock or hake.
- Dried white bread, you can yesterday.
- Dairy products with a low content of fat and sugar will be good if they have probiotics.
- Pasta (small, better whole grain, but suitable and ordinary, for example, “web”).
- Vegetables: broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, zucchini. You can eat greens – dill, parsley, only cut them smaller.
- Fruit: Baked apples are number one. If the acidity is reduced – you can citrus. All fruits must be ripe.
- Sweets: pasta, marshmallows, honey, non-sour jam, or jam in small quantities.
- Dairy products: cottage cheese and cottage cheese dishes, low-fat milk, kefir, yogurt.
- Butter: butter or refined vegetable.
- Broths: vegetable, with low acidity meat and fish, in any case – weak.
- Cereals: buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, semolina, you can cook porridge, make puddings or casseroles.
- Eggs: soft-boiled, in the form of a steam omelet (by the way, it comes out well in the microwave).
As you can see, the disease allows you to eat a varied and balanced diet. If inflammation of the stomach was diagnosed in a child, then the question of what you can eat with gastritis is also not worth it, just follow the list above. Now about drinking:
- Compote of dried fruits and not only – we remember kindergarten. By the way, very tasty and healthy.
- Weak tea.
- With low acidity – coffee.
- Rosehip broth.
Once again, it is especially important to observe the diet during exacerbations and within two weeks after them. At other times, you can give yourself relief, but it is better not to get carried away with this, otherwise, then you will have to sit for half a week on cereals and soups-puree – so a prospect.
Approximate weekly diet for inflammation of the stomach
Below we have prepared for you a menu from which you can get an impression of how to eat with gastritis. We hope it helps you!
Breakfast: oatmeal with a piece of butter and a spoonful of honey.
Second breakfast: yogurt.
Lunch: vegetable soup.
Snack: weak tea, marshmallow.
Dinner: pasta with a steam cutlet.
Breakfast: soft-boiled eggs, compote.
Second breakfast: cottage cheese casserole.
Lunch: table hats with vegetables for a couple.
Snack: baked apple.
Dinner: chicken or vegetable broth with white crackers.
Breakfast: semolina porridge.
Second breakfast: a glass of yogurt, pastila.
Lunch: rice with fish.
Dinner: vegetable casserole (in case the vegetables are left from Tuesday).
Breakfast: lazy dumplings.
Second breakfast: dried bread, low-fat cheese.
Lunch: vegetable soup with chicken meatballs.
Snack: apple pie (not fried).
Dinner: salad of boiled meat and vegetables.
Breakfast: a steamed omelet.
Second breakfast: pear. It is better to clean the skin.
Lunch: buckwheat porridge with chicken breast.
Snack: cottage cheese pudding.
Dinner: a stew of steamed vegetables.
Breakfast: cheesecakes (smaller butter and not much fry).
Second breakfast: pie with boiled meat.
Lunch: pilaf with fruit.
Snack: fruit jelly.
Dinner: potato casserole with meat.
Second breakfast: banana smoothie.
Lunch: boiled hedgehogs with broccoli.
Snack: cottage cheese soufflé.
Dinner: beetroot (with the tolerability of fresh vegetables).
Drinks to all this can be added optionally – what you like more and do not cause pain in the abdomen. As you can see, even if you have gastritis, nutrition for gastritis can not be called defective. We’ve also found a few recipes for you that can help calm your stomach – or at least not hurt it.
Recipes for an inflamed stomach
Vegetable puree soup
Ingredients: any vegetables that do not hurt your stomach, for example, zucchini, a handful of broccoli, a couple of potatoes and a couple of carrots, water, a third of a cup of cream (again, if your stomach does not hurt, otherwise you can replace it with butter), greens and salt to taste.
Preparation: Cook the vegetables in a saucepan almost to a softness. Salt the water, add the cream, stir and cook until the vegetables are finally tender. Use a potato crusher or blender to turn your soup into mashed soup. That’s it! Chop the greens finely and sprinkle it with soup already on the plate.
Rice porridge with vegetables and meat
Ingredients: rice, chicken fillet, a handful of broccoli inflorescences, a large carrot.
Preparation: cook rice and chicken breast until half-cooked (you can in one pot). In olive oil, stew broccoli, and grated carrots, you can also add a little chopped sweet pepper to them. Cut the chicken, mix all the ingredients in a baking dish (don’t forget to salt), pour the chicken broth to cover the rice, send it all to the oven until ready. It will turn out not only tasty but also beautiful.
Ingredients: potatoes, carrots, apple, chicken fillet, eggs, fresh cucumber, low-fat sour cream.
Preparation: cook potatoes in uniform, carrots, chicken fillet, and eggs, the first three ingredients can also be steamed. Clean everything that needs to be cleaned, cut everything that is cut, fill with sour cream. You can add green peas, but only if you are sure that it will not hurt you, and in fact without it it will be delicious. Enjoy your meal!